Boots & Beer Walking Weekender - North York Moors
31st March - 2nd April 2017
Levisham, North York Moors
Levisham is one of England's hidden gems - a beautfiul village of honey-coloured stone cottages set back behind a long village green, with the excellent Horeshoe Hotel at the top of the village. The village sits on top of a broad ridge of land that rises up between the deep valleys of Newtondale to the west and the Hole of Horcum to the east, with Levisham Moor stretching away to the north; the only way into the village is via some pretty steep roads! There is a train station at Levisham along the historic steam-hauled North Yorkshire Moors Railway, although the station is a mile away from the village down a steep hill! This is walking country par excellence, with a huge range of routes across a variety of terrain offering superlative views.
The Horseshoe Hotel is an exceptional country inn, and one of Mark Reid's favourite pubs!
Mark Reid has written two books about the North York Moors, including The Inn Way... to the North York Moors, and has taken numerous guided walks from Levisham over several years, and so knows the village and the surrounding countryside like the back of his hand.
Walking Weekender based from: Horseshoe Hotel, Levisham
Friday evening (9pm) - Meet at the Horseshoe at Levisham for our 'icebreaker' pub evening, where you can relax, socialise and meet your fellow walkers, choose your level of walk for Saturday and Sunday. Friday and/or Saturday evening meals will be pre-ordered before the weekend. These meals are optional and are not included in the price.
Arriving early on Friday? Your guides (Mark & Richard) will be eating at the pub at 7:30pm on Friday evening - you are most welcome to join us for a meal; just let us know so we can add you to our table.
Saturday evening (7:45pm) - Meal at Horseshoe at Levisham (optional), followed by a fantastic Pub Quiz Night with Mark Reid as your quizmaster! Prizes for the winning team.
There will be a choice of adventurous or leisurely guided walks on Saturday and Sunday, with Mark Reid and Richard Tarran MVO (who have exceptional local knowledge). The precise routes will be determined just before the weekend, taking into consideration weather conditions etc. You will be able to sign up for your chosen walk at the Friday evening 'icebreaker', where you will also be able to discuss the walks with Mark Reid.
Saturday (9:30am) - choice of adventurous or leisurely walks, with routes across the dales and hills. Routes will include Levisham Moor, Skelton Tower, Newtondale Gorge, Two Howes Rigg, Goathland and Cropton Forest. Return back to the pub late afternoon to recount your day's adventures.
Sunday (10am) - choice of adventurous or leisurely walks, with lower level valley and hills routes across the surrounding valleys, hills and moors, including the Hole of Horcum. Return back to the pub mid afternoon for a final drink before bidding fond farewells... until the next Walking Weekender!
Choice of walks: We usually offer a choice of adventurous or leisurely walks on both days. Saturday is a 'full day' from 9:30am until 5pm, whilst Sunday is a 'half day' from 10am until around 3pm. We will either split into two groups from the start, or we may walk as one group during the morning and then offer 'longer' or 'shorter' routes after lunch.
Levisham facilities & accommodation
How to get to Levisham
From Pickering, follow the A169 northwards towards Whitby for about 5 miles then turn left along a minor road through Lockton, then down and up a steep hill to reach Levisham.
Levisham has a choice of the Horseshoe Hotel and two B&Bs. There is a Youth Hostel and tea rooms at neighbouring Lockton, 1 mile from Levisham via a steep hill. The Horseshoe Hotel provides packed lunches. The town of Pickering is 7 miles away, where there is a small supermarket and plenty of shops.
ONLY £70 per person for the Walking Weekender
- Friday night 'icebreaker' evening at the pub
- Choice of guided walks on Saturday and Sunday*
- Walks guided by qualified and knowledgeable Mountain Leaders
- Saturday evening Pub Quiz Night
- Use of our Berghaus gear if required
- TeamWalking Loyalty Reward scheme (click here for more info)
- Goodie Bag
- FREE Black Sheep Brewery T-shirt
Please provide your own travel, food and accommodation for the weekend, as well as your own walking boots. Over 18s only - Walking Weekenders are designed for adults. Discount vouchers issued at the weekend.
Experience & fitness:
- No walking experience required. Full guidance will be given.
- A reasonable level of fitness is required as the natural environment can be demanding at times. All walks may include uneven ground, rough terrain, stiles, stream crossings, fields, valleys, moorland, hills, pathless hillsides, paths and tracks, lanes and country roads as well as a number of ascents and descents; we may experience adverse weather conditions. A typical day's walk across the North York Moors!
- We can provide full outdoor walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats. Please provide boots.
- We are fully qualified, insured and first aid trained Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 6,000 people walking in the countryside, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of hill walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk or accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our full Terms and Conditions can be found on the Booking Form
* The choice of walks is dependent upon there being more than 10 participants taking part in the weekend; if there are less than 10 participants then there will be one walk per day (full day's walk on Saturday and shorter walk on Sunday, finishing mid afternoon).