Boots & Beer Walking Weekender - Yorkshire Dales
8th - 10th September 2017
Kettlewell, Yorkshire Dales
Kettlewell has a spectacular setting amongst the hills and fells of Upper Wharfedale, with the mighty bulk of Great Whernside rising high above. It was 'Ketel', a Viking chieftain who first settled in this sheltered valley beside the River Wharfe back in the 9th Century, however, the village grew in size mainly due to its location. The Roman Road through the Dales came this way, as did the monastic route to Coverham Abbey, the stagecoach route from London as well as numerous packhorse trails. With so many important routes converging at one place Kettlewell developed as a trading centre and gained its market charter in the 13th Century. Lead mining in the hills behind Kettlewell brought prosperity to the village in the 18th and 19th centuries. Soon, a bustling village grew with as many as thirteen inns to accommodate the market-goers, miners and travellers. The old tracks and paths that radiate from the village in every direction make Kettlewell an excellent centre for walking and its three remaining inns are always busy.
The Racehorses Hotel is ideally situated in the heart of the village; Mark Reid reguarly uses it as a base for his navigation courses.
Mark Reid has written several books about the Yorkshire Dales, including The Inn Way... to the Yorkshire Dales, and so knows the surrounding fells, hills and dales like the back of his hand.
Walking Weekender based from: Racehorses Hotel, Kettlewell
Friday evening (9pm) - Meet at the Racehorses Hotel for our 'icebreaker' pub evening, where you can relax, socialise and meet your fellow walkers, choose your level of walk for Saturday and Sunday. Friday and/or Saturday evening meals will be pre-ordered before the weekend. These meals are optional and are not included in the price.
Arriving early on Friday? Your guides (Mark & Richard) will be eating at the pub at 7:30pm on Friday evening - you are most welcome to join us for a meal; just let us know so we can add you to our table.
Saturday evening (7:45pm) - Meal at Racehorses Hotel (optional), followed by a fantastic Pub Quiz Night with Mark Reid as your quizmaster! Prizes for the winning team.
There will be a choice of guided walks on Saturday and Sunday, with Mark Reid, Graeme Tiffany and Richard Tarran MVO (who have exceptional local knowledge). The precise routes will be determined just before the weekend, taking into consideration weather conditions etc. You will be able to sign up for your chosen walk at the Friday evening 'icebreaker', where you will also be able to discuss the walks with Mark Reid.
Saturday (9:30am) - choice of adventurous, steady away or leisurely walks, with routes across the dales and hills. Routes will include Great Whernside, Buckden Pike, Firth Fell, Old Cote Moor or Capplestone Gate - superb walks full of interest and variety. Return back to the pub late afternoon to recount your day's adventures.
Sunday (10am) - choice of adventurous, steady away or leisurely walks, with lower level valley and hills routes taking in Wharfedale, Littondale, Buckden and Starbotton. Return back to the pub mid afternoon for a final drink before bidding fond farewells... until the next Walking Weekender!
Choice of walks: We will offer a choice of adventurous, steady away or leisurely walks on both days. Saturday is a 'full day' from 9:30am until 5pm, whilst Sunday is a 'half day' from 10am until around 3pm. We will either split into two groups from the start, or we may walk as one group during the morning and then offer 'longer' or 'shorter' routes after lunch.
Kettlewell facilities & accommodation
How to get to Kettlewell
Kettlewell lies along the B6160 between Grassington and Aysgarth in Upper Wharfedale, Yorkshire Dales.
The nearest train station is at Skipton (15 miles to the south), with regular bus services to Kettlewell.
Kettlewell is a bustling village with three pubs, several B&Bs, Youth Hostel, campsite, caravan site, cafes, general stores, garage and outdoor shop.
Kettlewell offers a range of accommodation, including...
Racehorses Hotel, Kettlewell
Blue Bell Hotel, Kettlewell
Kings Head, Kettlewell
Kettlewell Youth Hostel
Pennycroft B&B, Kettlewell
Cottage Tea Room B&B, Kettlewell
Zarina's B&B, Kettlewell
Langcliffe House B&B, Kettlewell
ONLY £70 per person for the Walking Weekender
- Friday night 'icebreaker' evening at the pub
- Choice of guided walks on Saturday and Sunday*
- Walks guided by qualified and knowledgeable Mountain Leaders
- Saturday evening Pub Quiz Night
- Use of our Berghaus gear if required
- TeamWalking Loyalty Reward scheme (click here for more info)
- Goodie Bag
- FREE Black Sheep Brewery T-shirt
Please provide your own travel, food and accommodation for the weekend, as well as your own walking boots. Over 18s only - Walking Weekenders are designed for adults. Discount vouchers issued at the weekend.
Experience & fitness:
- No walking experience required. Full guidance will be given.
- A reasonable level of fitness is required as the natural environment can be demanding at times. All walks may include uneven ground, rough terrain, stiles, stream crossings, fields, valleys, moorland, hills, fells, pathless hillsides, paths and tracks, lanes and country roads as well as a number of ascents and descents; we may experience adverse weather conditions. A typical day's walk across the Yorkshire Dales!
- We can provide full outdoor walking gear, including waterproof jackets, trousers, fleeces, rucksacks, gloves and hats. Please provide boots.
- We are fully qualified, insured and first aid trained Mountain Leaders
- So far, we have taken over 6,500 people walking in the countryside, and have a wealth of experience dealing with all ages and abilities.
- Part of the attraction of hill walking is the challenge of tackling different terrains, landscapes and weather conditions. Every effort is made to minimize potential hazards; however, the very nature of hill walking involves a certain level of unavoidable risk or accident and/or injury. By taking part in this activity, you are aware of and accept these risks.
- Our full Terms and Conditions can be found on the Booking Form
* The choice of walks is dependent upon there being more than 10 participants taking part in the weekend; if there are less than 10 participants then there will be one walk per day (full day's walk on Saturday and shorter walk on Sunday, finishing mid afternoon).